Saturday 16 March 2013

'Comfort Food' at it's finest!

Now that report cards are out of the way, I have been able to get back into the kitchen cooking and baking again! It's not like we don't eat during report card time...our meals are just pretty easy peasy, and not at all fun and exciting! ha!

I found this taco recipe on Pinterest and decided to change it up a bit to make it a little bit healthier and geared to our taste buds! Those of you who know me well, know that I HATE following a recipe! I like using recipes as a guide when I cook and bake, but I can honestly say I have probably never followed one word for word before. (My poor Mother is probably shaking her head at me right now!! She was a high school foods teacher for 20 years and would have probably failed her students...and ME for NOT following the recipe!!!Ha!! Love ya Ma! ;) ) 

Baked Chicken Tacos 

What you need:
2 pounds ground chicken (or turkey)
1 small white onion, diced
1 package taco seasoning
1 cup tomato sauce
1 can refried beans
1 cup shredded light marble cheese
6 hard taco shells (use the ones that are flat on the bottom for easy standing!!)

*Sour cream, salsa, lettuce, etc for additional taco toppings!*

-Preheat oven at 400 degrees.
- First, brown the ground chicken and diced onion in a medium frying pan. Drain the excess fat, then add the meat back to the same pot.
-Then add in the taco seasoning, tomato sauce, and refried beans. Cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes until heated through. 
-Set up the taco shells in a baking pan. 
-Remove meat mixture from the stove, and scoop into the taco shells. 
-Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top and put them into the oven.
-Bake for about 10 minutes and then VOILA! Delish baked tacos!! 

Ground chicken, diced onion,
taco seasoning, tomato sauce,
 refried beans
Scoop into taco shells.
Sprinkle with cheese!
Bake for 10 minutes

-Top them with whatever you like and ENJOY!! 

 This next recipe is an oldie but a goodie!! Growing up my mom did a fair bit of baking for our family and these cookies were mine and my brothers ultimate favourite!! Little did we know that she was sneaking a VEGETABLE into our cookies! We still ate them by the handfuls!!
 I made these cookies for my husband for the first time a few years ago and I think he thought I was a bit odd when I told him I was putting zucchini in his cookies ha ha...however he ended up loving them and looks forward to when I make them for him now! :) 

Zucchini Chocolate Chip Cookies 

What you need:

-1/2 cup butter
-1 cup brown sugar
-1 egg
-1 teaspoon vanilla
-1 1/2 cups flour
-1/4 teaspoon salt
-1/2 teaspoon baking soda
-1 cup rolled oats (instant)
-1/2 cup coconut (shredded)
-1 cup chocolate chips
-1 cup zucchini, shredded 

-Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
-Beat butter, brown sugar, egg and vanilla until smooth.
-Add flour, salt, baking soda, and oatmeal. Mix well!
-Add coconut, chocolate chips and zucchini. Mix well!
-Drop by spoonfuls onto a greased cookie sheet. Bake for about 10 minutes. 
Butter, brown sugar, egg, and vanilla

Beat! Beat! Beat!
Oh how I LOVE my
RED Kitchen Aid mixer!!!
Place on cookie sheet and bake!
Zucchini Chocolate Chip Cookies! Delish!!

Enjoy while they are warm with a big glass of milk!! Yum!!



No comments:

Post a Comment